The health and well being of Paddle South Australia members and their families, is a priority issue for our organisation. Plan how you will care for yourself in the sun even on days where it is not hot or sunny http://www.sunsmart.com.au/
Paddle South Australia acknowledges and recognises that skin cancer is preventable, and will actively promote, encourage and support sun protection strategies at all events and functions with which we are associated.
Where possible Paddle South Australia will:
- Schedule events to avoid the peak ultra-violet period of between 11.00a.m. – 3.00p.m. (daylight saving time) or 10.00a.m. – 2.00p.m.
- Actively encourage all members to routinely wear sun protective clothing that includes: long sleeved shirts/tops with a collar, legionnaires or wide brimmed style hats and sunglasses. When members are competing they will be encouraged to wear protective clothing and headwear appropriate to the competition.
- Actively encourage all members to routinely use broad spectrum, water resistant SPF 30+ sunscreen, and stress the importance of regular re-application. Provide and /or sell sunscreen for members and spectators at events.
- Provide adequate shade for participants, spectators and officials at all events and actively encourage and remind people to bring their own shade structures.
- As a committee we will be committed to implementing these SunSmart policies into our organisation business and activities and widely educate and encourage their application into normal routines.
- Work with paddle clubs to ensure that all members are aware of the SunSmart message and the implications of damage from the sun.
- Promote sun safety via newsletters, brochures and over the public address system.
- Encourage all Paddle South Australia members, and require officials to be SunSmart role models, through policy, education and review of compliance.
- Consider long-term budgeting opportunities for purchase of shade structures such as tents, canopies and umbrellas.
- The Paddle South Australia SunSmart Policy is reviewed annually as part of our Strategic Plan Review, to ensure that it is current and relevant.