Resources for Outdoor Educators, Instructors, Guides and Leaders
Logbooks are required to contain the following information:
- Date & time of paddling activity
- Starting and finishing point, distance travelled
- Group/number of participants, paddling partners
- Craft used
- Weather & general paddling conditions such as wind speed & direction, water state, tide or river flow
Instructors, guides, leaders & etc are required to submit a logbook as part of the re-registration process every three years, so keeping your logbook up-to-date is important. To construct your own logbook, open an excel file and enter the details in each column. Update soon after each paddling activity to keep it up-to-date. Different worksheets can be used for different paddling activity (e.g. recreation, sea paddling, competition, etc.)
Please note: Summaries such as “5 Paddles during December, various locations” are considered insufficient and inadmissible in courts as evidence of current and correct practice, and are therefore unacceptable when re-registering your award.
All Australian Canoeing members are able to use the online logbook available through the My Club website. Contact Canoe SA (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
A logbook template designed for people who are candidates for Flatwater Instructor is available. Click here
Template for candidates for Sea Instructor is available as a pdf download. Click here
Resources for Candidates for AC Awards and Assessors
1. Teaching Skills: Summary of factors when assessing candidates for Flatwater Instructor and other AC Awards requiring assessment of instruction technique. CLICK HERE
2. Assistance for candidates and assessors (notes on the assessment project) CLICK HERE
Do you have a Sit-on-Top and looking for some more information on how to get the most out of paddling it? Canoe SA SOT Paddling Guide may just be the answer. This file includes basic stroke information as well as covering safety issues realted to this type of craft.
A link to the Australian Canoeing Education downloads page with policies, Member Protection Bylaw, and forms for download.
Teaching Skills to novice paddlers
Factors to guide Assessors, Instructors and Candidates for Assessment CLICK HERE